Thursday, September 22, 2011

The Rise of Prescription Drugs

by: Korawn Harris
ENGL 490.001

Prescription drugs are not only used to heal or treat a sickness/pain like they are supposed to. These days they are abused more than any other time in history. "Oxycontin" are the most popular in the streets and Scott Glover from the Pittsburgh Post Gazette say that, "a heavy Oxycontin habit can run twice as much as a heroin addiction". Despite how expensive an addiction these drugs can be, it has become one of the most popular drug being sold on the streets. The Baltimore Police Department says the reason for its' popularity is because this drug can be taken orally, injected, and it can be snorted. They also say that the  most popular way of getting prescription drugs on the streets is using fake identities to get made up prescriptions.

I spoke with FSU student Anton Wade about the topic and he immediately begin talking about how prescription drugs are taking over. "I personally have friends that are addicted to percocets". He explained that his friends smoke marijuana with the prescription drugs and they are at the point where they can't go without neither. After tearing my ACL two years, I was prescribed Oxycondon and I can personally say that I couldn't go to sleep without taking the drugs. I realized that it was all in my mind after taking them for a week and begin taking regular Tylenol.

No comments:

Post a Comment