Sunday, November 11, 2012

To marry or not to marry?







Religion is a subject that many people don’t talk about for various reasons. For some people, religion and their beliefs are something that they consider sacred. For others, religion represents hurt because of bad past experiences. For me, I don’t believe in religion. I am a follower of the Lord and Son of GOD, Jesus Christ. I have seen many things that people do not believe in, and a few things that have expanded my mind. I have dealt with demon possessed people, I have seen and experienced miracles, I have been in “haunted” houses, heard growling in empty rooms, and seen a demon. I don’t say these things to brag. I say them only to preface my blog. For the next few weeks, I promise to bring you things that you don’t believe in a way that is non-threatening and non-eccentric. Ladies and gentlemen welcome to “The Other Side

Unfortunately, I don’t think that my exorcism piece will happen, sadly. My local-expert is far too busy to grant me an interview, but I will keep trying. This week’s issue is about the controversial decision of two local pastors to support Question 6, and the subsequent passing of the referendum as a result.

Last week, Question 6, which passed in Maryland, was a controversial referendum on our ballot. Question 6 is seen below:
  Question 6
Referendum Petition
(Ch. 2 of the 2012 Legislative Session)
Civil Marriage Protection Act
Establishes that Maryland’s civil marriage laws allow gay and lesbian couples to obtain a civil marriage license, provided they are not otherwise prohibited from marrying; protects clergy from having to perform any particular marriage ceremony in violation of their religious beliefs; affirms that each religious faith has exclusive control over its own theological doctrine regarding who may marry within that faith; and provides that religious organizations and certain related entities are not required to provide goods, services, or benefits to an individual related to the celebration or promotion of marriage in violation of their religious beliefs.
Two pastors standing up to vote yes to Question 6 is controversial in itself. Pastors, Delman Coates and Donte Hickman Sr did just that. They met with Gov. O’Malley 10 months ago to determine whether or not they would take a stand on the referendum. They risked their reputations in support of the Question. The men both had personal stake in the bill. Pastor Coates had a cousin who was gay and HIV positive that he thought of when he supported the bill, and Pastor Hickman agreed with the idea that same-sex couples should be able to marry in the courtroom. He made it clear that he wasn’t a supporter of same-sex marriage. We are living in interesting times, to say the least. Personally, I take the same approach to Question 6 as Pastor Hickman, but I feel that the older I get, the harder the questions are to answer.  

No comments:

Post a Comment