Thursday, October 18, 2012

Has humanity outgrown it's omnivorous roots?

by Shawn Pillai


Nobody can argue with the fact that humans are natural-born omnivores. Since the dawn of the first modern-day humans nearly 200,000 years ago, people have been surviving by eating all manner of plants and animals. With the invention of agriculture approximately 10,000 years ago, our ancestor’s nomadic, hunter-gatherer societies began to dissolve as humanity settled lands, planted crops, and herded animals for food. Historically, being omnivorous has allowed the human species to survive and thrive where a species limited to a carnivorous or herbivorous diet may have failed and become extinct.

In today’s United States, agriculture has burgeoned into one of the largest industries, with huge mega conglomerates such as Monsanto and Tyson Foods either forcing small farms to comply with their operating procedures or driving them out of business altogether. The meat industry is a massive source of groundwater pollution in the United States. As much as ten pounds of grain or other foodstuff is consumed for every pound of beef produced. Not only that, the conditions that these animals are grown in--not raised; grown--are abominably cruel. The label images of rolling countrysides and animals grazing freely with barns and grain silos silhouetted in the background are designed to mislead the consumer into thinking that their food had an opportunity to lead a natural life. The hard facts are that these animals are mistreated up until the moment of slaughter.

Harris Ranch feedlot in Coalinga, CA. Photo courtesy of http://www.wickedfoodearth.co.za
Is it ethical, then, to continue eating meat in a country where it is entirely unnecessary? Peter Singer, Professor of Bioethics at Princeton University and author of The Ethics of What We Eat: Why Our Food Choices Matter, asserts that it is not ethical. In a 2006 interview with Stephen Colbert, he argues that eating meat is an antiquated part of civilization, much like slavery and war, and has no place in a modern, progressing society. The cost of a society that continues to consume vast quantities of meat where it is not necessary is simply too high to sustain.
Egg-laying hens are kept in battery cages for up to a year before their productivity diminishes and they are slaughtered. Photo courtesy of http://www.aact.org.au
For the past year, my friend George and I have been considering switching to a vegetarian diet. George is doing research for his PhD in Soil Science at the University of Illinois, so he is in an ideal position, both geographically and academically, to study the toll that the meat industry is taking on our environment. I called him to ask if he had ever gotten around to eliminating meat from his diet. I explained that I've been concerned with my health lately, and that considering that my biological grandfather had his first heart attack at age 29, with his fourth heart attack killing him at the age of 33, I was going to cut meat out of my diet in an attempt to not die. “Don’t bother. I did it for two months and it sucked. Stop being a sissy and just eat meat,” he said. “And get a better excuse than ‘health concerns’. Consider the massive inputs it takes to grow cattle, and the fact that they’re the largest producer of atmospheric methane, which is contributing heavily to global warming.” His response was so typical of an environmental scientist. “I don’t give a damn when you die, and the animals can all go to hell, but the Earth! The Earth is crying.”

I decided to draw my own conclusions about vegetarianism and veganism after I experienced it first hand. I went to Martin’s to sample the vegan and vegetarian choices they had available. The first thing I noticed was that many of the vegan products were far more expensive than animal products. The amount of processing it takes to convert soybeans into cheese is reflected in the price. I decided to select one of the most basic and common dishes--the vegetarian hamburger--to make that evening.

The first few fake hamburger products I found were high in carbohydrates and low in protein. If I’m to practice vegetarianism, I need to be sure that I won’t be forced to subsist on mostly carbohydrates. Finally, I found a product that met my dietary standards. The Gardein (garden + protein) vegan hamburger contained just 5 grams fat, 6 grams carbohydrates, and 17 grams protein. Furthermore, they were only a dollar a piece. Being realistic, I remember thinking “These are too good to be true. They probably taste awful.”

Gardein brand meatless burger
After picking up some other ingredients, I headed home to experiment with my new products. I decided to pan-sear the burger to try and recreate the color and texture of real beef. When seared dark brown on both sides, I set the burger on the bun. It looked good enough, but it was a bit plain. I decided to forgo veganism for now and top it with aged sharp cheddar.
It looks good, but it could look better
After adding toppings and condiments, the faux burger looked real enough. Served with some baked sweet potato fries, this healthy, meatless meal looked great. More importantly, it actually tasted great as well. I detected a charred, grill-like flavor in the background that served to help sell the illusion. The texture was quite similar to ground beef, and despite my initial reservations, I enjoyed the product immensely. And surprisingly, the ‘burger’, bun, and toppings only costs out to about $1.50, which is about half the price of a fast food hamburger of equal quality.
Gardein vegetable burger and baked sweet potato fries
I’ve adhered to a vegetarian diet for a few days now, and I don’t miss eating meat yet. Furthermore, I go to bed with a clean conscience, confident that I made responsible dietary choices for the day. Admittedly, I could be doing better by avoiding all animal products, including milk, cheese, yogurt, and eggs. Perhaps I’ll segway into veganism within a few weeks. Our children will inherit our planet, and until we can find a sustainable way of meeting the demand for meat, the best choice seems to be erring on the side of caution and refraining from eating it.

For a shocking glimpse into the reality of the American food industry, consider watching Food Inc., an exposé that explores the cost that the food corporations of America are imposing on its citizens. The video can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment