Thursday, October 18, 2012

Jesus had a wife??


Religion is a subject that many people don’t talk about for various reasons. For some people, religion and their beliefs are something that they consider sacred. For others, religion represents hurt because of bad past experiences. For me, I don’t believe in religion. I am a follower of the Lord and Son of GOD, Jesus Christ. I have seen many things that people do not believe in, and a few things that have expanded my mind. I have dealt with demon possessed people, I have seen and experienced miracles, I have been in “haunted” houses, heard growling in empty rooms, and seen a demon. I don’t say these things to brag. I say them only to preface my blog. For the next few weeks, I promise to bring you things that you don’t believe in a way that is non-threatening and non-eccentric. Ladies and gentlemen welcome to “The Other Side”

 

  I must apologize this week. Due to scheduling errors, I will not be able to run the exorcism interview with the local pastor. I will be running the interview next week. This week’s issue is about the recent documents in the media claiming that Jesus was married, and how the document is most- likely a fake.

 

A couple of weeks ago, Dr. Karen L. King, a Hollis professorof Divinity at Harvard University, presented a paper on the supposed wife of Jesus the Christ. Her paper was based on a papyrus that was found in Upper Egypt. The papyrus supposedly dates back to the second century. King, a Coptic language expert, helped a group of scholars in her field to translate the piece of papyrus. The translation of the document is rather jumbled, but the word “wife” has been clearly identified. I wonder if the word was taken out of context because Jesus often spoke in metaphors and parables? News outlets and social media sites all across the country ran this story a few weeks ago. The Smithsonian channel even filmed a special about it that was set to air on September 30th. What happens when a document is identified as a fake by a leading Vatican newspaper? I’m not too sure, and yes, I’m being facetious.

                That’s exactly what has happened recently. The same news sources that ran the story and supported it have dropped it and called it a fake. Ironically, the papyrus was not found directly from the process of excavation. The document was bought from an antique’s merchant. That sounds like a rather odd source to put faith in. I am very surprised that a scholar would place their reputation on the line for a piece of store merchandise, so to speak. This document has some serious weight to it in the religious department. Did anyone seek to find out the validity of the merchant? Does anyone know his/her name? It does not seem so. This journalist sure can’t find that information. Anthony Brown of the Guardian newspaper wrote an article that states that the papyrus is most-likely a computer- generated document which is based on the Gospel of Thomas. This seems to be just another hoax. I hope Divinity scholars of the future will seek to fully understand discoveries before releasing them as fact to the public.

No comments:

Post a Comment