Saturday, October 8, 2011

What Comes Next for Them




All over campus, seniors can be seen working hard to fulfill the demands of upper level course loads. What isn't as noticeable is the work they are doing outside of their classes and homework -- research, filling out applications, compiling portfolios, taking entrance exams -- to determine what their next steps will be. Below, a few FSU English students share, via Facebook, what they plan to do once they receive their undergraduate degrees and their feelings on the process.

Abigail Rawlings of Westernport, MD is a senior English major on the teacher certification track. After graduation, she plans to take the Praxis I and II before pursuing a job teaching middle or high school English. At the moment, she is preparing to begin her internship in which she will observe and eventually student teach in actual middle and high school classrooms.

On graduating and beginning her search for a career, Rawlings wrote, "I have a mix of emotions. It is definitely scary to start a new chapter in my life where I will be responsible for the academic success of many children, but it is also exciting, and I think it will be a great experience and career."










------

Andrea Lynch of Baltimore, MD is a senior English major with a concentration in Literature planning to graduate in December. Following graduation, Lynch intends to take the Praxis I, a requirement to get into the MAT program. She has already completed her application for the program but will wait until she has the score of her Praxis I to submit it.

Of the process of applying for the program, Lynch wrote: "It could be a little more informational. Maybe it's just the school I'm applying to, but when I call, I get the run-around on who I need to talk to. The answers they give me are just not that informative."






------

"Unfortunately for the English major with a humble B.A. or B.S. degree, there are not many employment opportunities available to them after graduation. Therefore, most students who major in a humanities program find themselves re-investing in themselves by attending graduate school to supplement their undergraduate degree. I count myself as one of the many who must re-invest in myself to make myself more appealing to to employers because no one will care about Shakespeare's use of puns when an IPO fizzles, the stock market crashes, and unemployment flirts with 10 percent." - Dexter Winkler, Meyersdale, PA.

Winkler has taken the GRE and applied to Frostburg's MBA program and intends to apply to English graduate programs at IUP and WVU. He also plans to take the LSAT in June 2012 and will then apply to multiple law schools. Of the process, Winkler wrote: "From what I've seen so far, applying to grad schools is pretty much the same as applying to undergraduate programs. The only thing that is distressing about it is that fewer students are selected for admissions, so it puts a little more pressure on you to be perfect and polished."




No comments:

Post a Comment